- More about the UnBias project
- Useful Information Flier: The UnBias project have created a flier which contains ideas to stop companies tracking your personal data, for example changing search engines, installing plug-ins and disabling tracking options.
Reports and Recommendations
- The Internet on Our Own Terms: How Children and Young People Deliberated about their Digital Rights.
- Children and the Internet Parliamentary Enquiry
- Principles for Accountable Algorithms and a Social Impact Statement for Algorithms
- Life in ‘likes’: Children’s Commissioner report into social media use among 8-12 year olds
- Growing Up Digital: A report of the Growing Up Digital Taskforce
- Digital Childhood: Addressing childhood development milestones in the digital environment
- One in Three: Internet Governance and Children’s Rights
- Child Safety Online: A Practical Guide for Providers of Social Media and Interactive Services
- A Summary of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Children and Parents: Media Use and Attitudes Report
- Guide to the GDPR
- BBC Bitesize: What is an algorithm?
- BBC Bitesize: Introducing algorithms
- BBC Bitesize: Algorithms
- Barefoot Computing
- How to explain algorithms to kids
Advice for parents and carers
- NSPCC Net Aware
- NSPCC and O2 Online Safety Partnership
- Think U Know Advice for Parents
- UK Safer Internet Centre
Media Articles, Videos, and Talks
Young people and algorithms:
- New research shows students are largely unaware of news personalisation
- Facebook launches Youth Portal to educate teens on the platform, how their data is being used
The use of data and protecting privacy:
- ‘Free is a Lie’
- Living with Algorithms: Why should you care about algorithms?
- Browser Histories: Who sees what you are browsing and what can they discover about you?
- The Lazy Person’s Guide to Better Online Privacy
Discrimination and Bias:
- “Three black teenagers”: anger as Google image search shows police mugshots
- A beauty contest was judged by AI and the robots didn’t like dark skin
- LinkedIn denies gender bias claim over site search
- How to bump Holocaust deniers off Google’s top spot? Pay Google
- UN Women ad series reveals widespread sexism
- UN Women – The Autocomplete Truth
- Google under fire over ‘racist’ image search results for ‘unprofessional hair’
- “I think my blackness is interfering”: does facial recognition show racial bias?
- HP Investigates Claims of ‘Racist’ Computers
- Google is not ‘just’ a platform. It frames, shapes and distorts how we see the world
Regulation, Transparency, and Accountability